Vincentian Sisters of Charity

vincentian-sisters-of-charity-logoThe Vincentian Sisters of Charity originated in Europe, and were formerly called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1902, five Sisters came to the United States, where they established themselves to work among the poor, the sick, and the education of children.

The Sisters came to Welland in 1957 to start a Canadian presence, and two Sisters began teaching at St. Ann Catholic Elementary School in 1958. This school was later renamed St. Andrew. Two Sisters also began teaching at St. Alexander, Fonthill.

After living in a temporary convent in Welland, a new site was chosen for a convent in 1959. It was adjacent to St. Alexander Catholic Elementary School in Fonthill and ready for occupancy in February 1960. Bishop Thomas McCarthy presided at the official blessing in June 1960. Over the years, many Sisters lived at the Fonthill convent and taught in the Niagara region.

Sr. Victorine Deley came to Canada in 1958.  She began at St. Alexander, Fonthill and later served as Principal of St. Andrew Catholic Elementary School from 1960-1984. Following her retirement, she was pastoral assistant at St. Andrew Parish until 2000.

Sr. Concepta Fudala came to Canada from Pittsburgh in 1965 to teach Grade 1 at St. Alexander. Following her retirement from teaching in 1984, she served as pastoral assistant at St. Alexander parish until 2003.

Sr. Beatrice Brunner came to Canada from Pennsylvania in 1967. She spent the next 24 years teaching at Notre Dame College School in Welland. Sister Beatrice passed away in January, 2013, at the age of 86.

Inducted: February 4, 2005