The Specialist High Skills Major allows students to focus on a career path that matches their individual skills and interests. Each major is a bundle of 6 to 12 courses in a selected sector. Niagara Catholic currently offers:
Students who choose an SHSM designation learn through co-operative education and experiential learning placement within the community.
Students who complete an SHSM designation can be confident when they leave high school that they are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and industry-recognized qualifications desired by employers and post-secondary institutions.
Niagara Catholic has partnered with many local businesses and agencies within the Niagara Region to offer its students rich and diverse opportunities to gain practical experience and expertise in their chosen career fields.
Pursuing the High Skills Major designation enables students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- Select a bundle of required credits focused on knowledge and skills in a specific area.
- Provide evidence of achievement for prospective employers and post secondary institutions.
- Explore, identify, and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their posts-econdary options.
- Take part in a “reach ahead” experience that will help them gain confidence in their abilities, refine skills and work habits.
- Access resources, equipment, and expertise that may not be available in their secondary school.
Interested in the SHSM Program?
SHSM in the news >>>
Denis Morris student earns SHSM designation
Please print and complete the Registration Form, bring it to your school's Student Services Department and book an appointment with a Guidance Counsellor.
Teacher Resources >>
Niagara Grows - Horticulture & Landscaping program introduced