Within a decade they were given land by Archbishop John Lynch (Toronto archdiocese) and built a new convent and school overlooking Niagara Falls. There were additions to the building in 1890 and 1925. For over 120 years the sisters operated and staffed a girls' school for students from Grades 1-13 from the Niagara region, New York state and several Central and South American countries.
Besides running Loretto Academy, the Loretto Sisters administered and taught at all but one of the elementary schools in Niagara Falls, plus schools in Fort Erie, Port Colborne, and Wainfleet. They would either go out from Loretto Academy daily to these schools or live in other smaller Loretto convents. The sisters also went out from these places to teach catechism in nearby missions and smaller parishes.
By 1969 the boarding school closed at Loretto Academy; Loretto High School was the name of the newly named co-educational school begun in 1975. With an ever increasing student population the school closed in 1982 and the students were housed in the new Saint Paul High School (formerly Jean-Vanier Elementary School).
In 1982 the Loretto Sisters established Loretto Christian Life Centre as a place where people come for adult and youth retreats and a variety of other programs. The Niagara Catholic District School Board has used the facility since 1983 to offer a Spiritual Centre Outdoor Education Program (SCOEP) for Grade 8 students. Faith formation opportunities are also offered for Catholic educators in the Niagara region, as well as from other boards across the province.