Niagara Catholic District School Board
||June 21, 2005
||May 27, 2008
||June 16, 2009
||June 15, 2010
||March 29, 2011
Policy No. 302.7
STATEMENT OF POLICY
The Niagara Catholic District School Board views human life as an integration of body, mind, and spirit, with an appreciation of the sacredness of the human body as a gift from God.
The Niagara Catholic District School Board is committed to supporting a healthy school environment for the proper growth and development of students. Good nutrition is vital to the health and well being of each student and his/her potential to learn. In accordance with the Church’s teachings, it is the policy of the Board to provide in all its operations an educational environment which supports and enables diversity within its Catholic community. The Board supports students and parents/guardians in making healthy food and beverage choices on a regular basis.
The Niagara Catholic District School Board believes that schools have an important role to play in helping students lead healthier lives, including teaching students the skills to make healthy choices, preparing food in a healthy way, and reinforcing those lessons through school practices. The Board believes that the nutritional choices can be positively influenced through role modeling.
Food and beverages provided by the Niagara Catholic District School Board for students in a school setting will meet and may exceed the requirements of current legislation.
Schools have an important role to play in helping students lead healthier lives, including teaching students the skills to make healthy choices, preparing food in a healthy way, and reinforcing those lessons through school practices.
This policy applies to all schools and other Board sites.
The Director of Education will issue Administrative Guidelines in support of this policy.
- Niagara Catholic District School Board Anaphylaxis Policy 302.1
- Education Act, Subsection 8(1), Paragraphs 29.3 and 29.4
- School Food and Beverage Policy: Policy/Program Memorandum No. 150 – Revised Version, (October 4, 2010)
- School Food and Beverage Policy Resource Guide 2010
- Canada’s Food Guide
- Ontario Regulation 200/08, “Trans Fat Standards”
- Health Protection and Promotion Act, Regulation 562, “Food Premises”
- Ontario Public Health Standards, 2008
- Ontario Society of Nutrition Professionals in Public Health Call to Action: Creating a Healthy School Nutrition Environment
- Nutrition Standards, Nutrition Tools for Schools©, Ontario Society of Nutrition Professionals in Public Health, October 2010 v2
- Ministry of Children and Youth Services, Student Nutrition Program Nutrition Guidelines, July 2008
- Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations, Institute for Catholic Education
- Niagara Catholic District School Board Religious Accommodation Policy 100.10.1