In January, 1997 the Minister of Education and Training announced that, as part of its plan to restructure the education system in Ontario, the number of school boards in the province would be reduced from 129 to 66 and replaced by new "District" school boards effective January 1, 1998.
On January 1, 1998 as part of the amalgamation of school boards, the Welland County Roman Catholic Separate School Board and the Lincoln County Roman Catholic Separate School Board became the Niagara Catholic District School Board.
The Niagara Catholic District School Board covers an area of 1868 sq. km and is responsible for providing Catholic education to approximately 25,000 students in the Niagara Region.
The Board logo incorporates a cross and a plant symbolizing a caring, nurturing Catholic environment where individuals grow as student and as Christians.
The colours of blue and green used in the logo represent the water and land associated with the Niagara Region. The caring Christian environment is communicated visually by enclosing one object within another, the plant within the cross. The plant represents the growth of our students in all areas as they develop and mature.