School Sisters of Notre Dame
The Congregation of The School Sisters of Notre Dame (SSND) was founded in Bavaria in 1833 by Blessed Theresa of Jesus Gerhardinger to educate the children of poor families, especially girls. The SSNDs travelled to the United States in 1847.
Its first mission in Canada was in St. Agatha, Ontario, caring for orphaned children. At the request of the pastor at Star of the Sea, Port Dalhousie, the Sisters staffed St. Ann Catholic Elementary School in 1932. With the amalgamation of schools in the St. Catharines area in 1962, the school board suggested that the Sisters transfer to St. Anthony Catholic Elementary School.
In 1941, James Cardinal McGuigan of Toronto asked the Sisters to open a private grade and boarding school in Welland. In 1954, this school became part of the separate school board.
For 63 years, the School Sisters of Notre Dame were involved in various ministries with the St. Catharines diocese, teaching in elementary and high schools, working in the national office of the Pontifical Mission Work for Children, and engaging in pastoral care activities.
Inducted: February 4, 2005