Boozhoo, Tawnshi, Shé:kon, Qanuitpin, Welcome
History of Indigenous Education at Niagara Catholic
The Niagara Catholic District School Board is committed to supporting First Nation, Métis, and Inuit students by:
- developing effective strategies and learning opportunities that are responsive, flexible, and accessible to improve student achievement and well-being
- closing the gap in student achievement in the areas of literacy and numeracy
- increasing retention and Indigenous student graduation rates to support the pursuit of post-secondary education or training and/or to enter the workforce
In response to a Ministry directive, the Aboriginal Education Advisory Committee (AEAC) was established in Niagara in 2009. The Committee was renamed the Indigenous Education Advisory Committee (IEAC) in 2016. The IEAC is a partnership between Niagara Catholic District School Board and the District School Board of Niagara, supported by a number of community-based Indigenous partner agencies.
Please find below minutes from past IEAC meetings:
Under Ontario’s First Nations, Métis, and Inuit (FNMI) Education Policy Framework, Niagara Catholic encourages all Indigenous students to self-identify as part of a VOLUNTARY AND CONFIDENTIAL process. Niagara Catholic uses information gathered from the self-identification process to support Indigenous students through:
- Accessing culturally relevant materials and programs in schools, allowing Indigenous students to see themselves reflected in the learning materials.
- Gathering academic information to support the unique learning needs of Indigenous students within our schools.
- Accessing cultural events offered to Indigenous students throughout the school year.
- Hosting special events at our schools, allowing our Indigenous students to share their unique cultural identity with non-Indigenous students.
- Sharing information about career and educational funding opportunities that are specific to Indigenous students.
Check back soon for more information about the exciting programs for Indigenous Students at Niagara Catholic.
Residential School Resources
Ministry Of Education
Indigenous Education Strategy
As Indigenous Lead, Mr. Brian Kon works with Niagara Catholic administration, teachers and staff in promoting Indigenous culture throughout our schools and programs.
Follow us on Facebook!
For the latest information about Indigenous events/activities/opportunities for Niagara Catholic Indigenous students and their families, visit and like