Here we are, at the start of a whole new year! The first four months of the 2017-2018 school year have just flown by, but there is still so much learning, growing in faith and fun to be had through the end of June! Here’s what we have coming up in January 2018 for students, staff and families:
January 8: Welcome back! Classes resume at all Niagara Catholic schools and sites.
Members of the Special Education Advisory Committee will meet on Wednesday, January 10. The Niagara Catholic Parent Involvement Committee meets on Thursday, January 11.
Niagara Catholic’s annual Baby Celebration will take place on Wednesday, January 17. This day is a favourite for everyone at the Catholic Education Centre, because there is so much cuteness in the building. It’s the day we celebrate all the new family members of our Niagara Catholic family – the children of our staff born in the prior year.
Friday, January 19 is an elementary Professional Activity Day. Check the eFlyer section of this website to see what PA Day events and activities are taking place in your community.
Semester One comes to an end in our secondary schools on January 25. Exams begin on Friday, January 26 and run through February 1.
Weather watch: A quick reminder for all families that being sandwiched between two lakes can make winter unpredictable in Niagara – we can wake up to blue skies and be in a blizzard by noon, occasionally without warning. The temperature can also plummet from a seasonal norm to Arctic-like weather quickly, too. Parents and guardians should always have a “just in case” plan in place for times when bad weather strikes throughout the day, and transportation is cancelled or schools are closed early. Please also keep the following in mind:
- Bus cancellation decisions are made by Niagara Student Transportation Services.
- School closure decisions are made by the Director of Education.
- We strive to have cancellation/closure information available to families by 6 a.m. on the day when a weather event is anticipated, and make decisions during the day when weather conditions deteriorate after school has started. Parents are notified by the School Connects system when transportation or classes are cancelled during the course of a school day. It is advisable to have child care on standby in case of these situations.
- Parents and guardians should consider this website, our Board Facebook page or Twitter account as official sources of information about cancellations or closures, or get the news from local media outlets.
- We regret we are unable to answer individual messages on social media. If there is no notification posted online or in the media about cancellations or closures, it’s a regular school day.
- Please check the NSTS website for school bus delays through this link, or the the main page of this website.
- Schools are most often open when buses are cancelled. Parents and guardians have the final say on whether to send child(ren) to school during inclement weather days, but we remind you that you are required to report each child’s absence using the Safe Arrival System when keeping students home when school is open to avoid receiving automated calls from the system.
- Families are notified by the School Connects system when schools are cancelled. There is no need to report an absence when schools are closed.
- Throughout the winter, students should come to school dressed appropriately for the weather, with waterproof winter coats, boots and mittens/gloves and snow pants, as well a warm hat and scarf. A change of clothes for soggy days is also recommended.
- Students learn best when they have the opportunity to get outside and enjoy fresh air, and are sent outside as often as possible during the winter. Students are kept inside when Niagara Region Public Health declares an Extreme Cold Alert, however Principals are responsible for the safety of their students and have the discretion to keep students indoors for all or part of a day if they feel the temperature or the conditions in their area warrants doing so.
- If you have additional questions, please refer to our Transportation and School Operations for Inclement Weather Policy.